HERITAGE SITES IN SURAT
- Chronological Order
- Heritage Sites Circuit Map
- Monuments – Image Gallery
- Google Maps
History of Surat, dates back to around 16th century during those times it was known as Suryapur. The historic monuments like Surat Fort and Gopi Talav, tell the story of Surat along with the notes by some of the travellers like Barbosa, who noted the proceedings of Sultan of Gujarat in his travel notes. However difficult it may be to trace the exact details of the history back then, this monuments definitely speak to us in the language only a traveller can understand.
|Gopi Talav||1510||Gopi Talav was built in around 1510 by Malik Gopi,|
who was an affluent merchant and governor of Surat
during the Mughal Empire.
|Surat Castle||1546||The construction of the castle was completed|
in 1546 by Safi Agha, under the ruling of
Ahmedabad king Sultan Mahmood III
|Mughal Sarai||1644||It was built during the period of|
Mugal Emperor Shah Jahan
in the year 1644 A.D. and was popularly
known as ‘Mugal Sarai’ (Travellers Inn).
|Andrew’s Library||1850||Andrew’s Library was opened on 1st July 1850|
|Narmad House||1866||Saraswati Mandir was built by Narmad in 1866,|
renamed as Narmad House after the restoration
work by SMC
|Gandhi Bagh||1870||Rani Baug, presently Gandhi Baug|
inaugurated by Municipality in 1870
|Clock Tower||1870||Clock Tower was erected in 1870|
|Hope Bridge||1877||Inauguration of Hope Bridge – 1877|
HERITAGE CIRCUIT MAP
- Clock Tower is on the Station-Chowk main road and will be one of the first things you will be noticing when you go around on this route.
- It was constructed in 1871 by Khan Bahadoor Burjorjee Merwanjee Fraser at the cost of Rs 14000 in the memory of his father Merwanjee Hormusjee Fraser and for the convenience of the inhabitants of Surat. Know More
- Clock Tower is on the main road, opened to be viewed from the outside, anytime.
- It’s Free.
- Insides of the Tower is currently not opened for public.
- Narmad Dave was a poet, philosopher, writer, social reformer in Surat. He composed, Jai Jai Garvi Gujarat, which is the state song of Gujarat.
- He built Saraswati Mandir in 1866.
- It got lost in the time, later renovated by SMC. Know More
- 8 am to 8 pm on regular days.
- On Mondays and public holidays – 8 am to 2 pm
- It is a heritage site as well as library, maintain decorum of the place.
- The Building which is used at present as an office complex by Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC) is one of the ancient monuments of Surat city and was built originally as a ‘Sarai’ or Musafarkhana (travellers’ inn). Know More
- It was built during the period of Mugal Emperor Shah Jahan in the year 1644 A.D. and was popularly known as ‘Mugal Sarai’.
- Since 1867 the building was occupied by the present corporation.
- Suggested timings : 10 am to 6 pm
- Free. This is not just another tourist attraction. So please follow the norms of place.
- It is administrative office of SMC. It is not open for public exploration. You can walk around and look at the beauty of this place.
- Library was established on 1st July 1850 and named after Andrew.
- This library got destroyed during the floods in 2005. Know More.
- Tuesday to Saturday 9am to 1pm & 3pm to 7pm
- Sunday 9am to 1pm. Library is closed on Monday.
- It is only open to see from outside. Insides not open for public exploration, yet you can enjoy the mesmerizing architecture from the outside.
- Surat Fortwas built in 1546 by Safi Agha, who was appointed by Ahmedabad king Sultan Mahmood-III. This fort was built for protection against the attack of constant invaders. Know More.
- The fort is now restorted by SMC and the new makeover look is called as Surat Castle. The beauty of this place is mesmerizing.
- Tuesday to Sunday 10:00 am to 06:00 pm
- Fort remains closed on Monday and major holidays.
- Ticket Fees
- 3 Years to 16 Years Rs.20/-
- 17 Years to 60 Years Rs.40/-
- Above 60 Years Rs.20/-
- Photography Rs.20/-
- Videography Rs.100/-
- Ticket selling is open only till 4:30 pm
Hope Bridge – Heritage Walkway
- Hope Bridge was built on Tapi river by Sir Theodre Hope, when he was district collector and magistrate.
- The bridge’s foundation was laid in 1874 and it was completed in 1877.
- The bridge was dismantled in 2015 and replaced by new bridge keeping the old design of Hope Bridge intact. Know More
- Suggested Timings : Sunrise – Sunset.
- It is a public place. Do not litter. Enjoy the view of Tapi River and birds.
Gandhi Baug (Gandhi Garden)
- This is a public garden built in the year 1870.
- Currently it is managed by SMC. Just beside this garden, you can enjoy shopping in Sunday Fair, which is open only on Sundays.
- Suggested Timings : 6am to 9pm.
- It is a public place. Do not litter.
- Gopi Talav, the water reservoir was constructed around 1510 A.D. by Malik Gopi, who was a leading merchant of surat and cheif vazir of Gujarat Sultanate. Know More.
- Gopi Talav was a source of water supply for the population till 1673 A.D. Later lost it’s place in time. In 2015, it was renovated by Surat Municipal Corporation as “Lake Garden”.
- 10:00 am to 10:00 pm. Suggested to visit in evenings.
- Ticket Fees
- Kids Rs.10/-
- Adults Rs.20/-
- Parking Rs 10 for 2 wheelers, 20 for 4 wheelers.
- It is crowded on weekends and festive seasons.